home past and present personel steve mackay
This vignette of the infamous Romeo gig in 1968, is taken from the hard to find "Mothers and Others: The Rock and Roll History of Romeo, Michigan" by David McLaughlin. Interview with Ron Asheton below.

Entertainer Pleads Guilty

   James Newell Osterberg, 21, of Ann Arbor, pled guilty before Justice James Schocke Monday morning and was fined $41 and costs of $9 on a charge of being a disorderly person, which had been reduced from indecent exposure.

   Osterberg's arrest at 10:45 p.m. Sunday at Mother's followed complaints both to the village and State Police. He had been performing at the local music hall as a dancer.

August 11, 1968: Romeo Observer

  Mother's billed it as "A show you will not forget," and that was the truth. "When The Stooges arrived late, we thought the little guy in the hip-hugger pants was a roadie. It turned out to be Iggy Pop. They showed up with only a guitar, a bass, and drum sticks. The opening band, The Jagged Edge, had to let them use their equipment.'

   "I had no idea what to expect, " remembers Engels (one of the college aged owners.) "I had never seen them perform before, and I booked them after hours of cajoling by Jeep Holland. He was helping us to get the other bands, and I did it as a favor to him."

Ron Asheton, the Stooges lead guitarist recounted the story in an interview conducted in 1996, detailing what happened on that fateful hot evening of August 11;

"God, I remember the job well. It was all innocent, too. He had gotten a pair of brown vinyl pants and he wore them so much -- the way he twists around and does his acrobatics, the crotch just split. So he probably was just hangin' out. And then he went backstage and came back with a towel wrapped around him or something. To tell you the truth, I don't know if it was an accident or not.

It was sort of like that Jim Morrison in that Miami thing. There was a girl in the audience whose father was a state policeman, and it just happened the post was right around the corner or something. And she went runnin' on down there and said, 'There's a naked man at the show.' And so the old dude who was the security guard -- must have been in his si60's or whatever -- was saying, "I'm telling you fellas right now, the state police are on their way.' And we're going, "Huh?'

So we're just sittin' in the dressing room and Iggy gets the word, and he's trying to split, he's getting the hell out of there. We thought, "Well, f---, we didn't do anything wrong. So what's the big deal?' So we're sitting in the dressing room, and the next thing I know the troopers start bustin' in -- big scary dudes, crew cuts, and a couple of guns were out. They were't pointed or nothing, but hands were on guns. And they're going, 'Where's that Iggy?' We said 'He's gone sir, and we don't know.'

They looked all around and I know the Jagged Edge guy was so freaked out because those guys were speed freaks. He was just cowering in the dressing room. Hey, we were all scared.

The guy goes, 'You're all under arrest until we get that Iggy guy', 'Oh no!' Luckily a few moments later somebody comes up and says, "Yeah, Sarge, we got him.' And what happened was Iggy had been in the trunk of a car hiding, and he was making his way to another car that was going to drive him to Ann Arbor. And that's when the police got him.

So he spent the night in the clink, and then the next day his parents got him out early the next morning. For us it was like, "Thank God we didn't have to sit in jail.'

That was the one and only time, at that show, that he actually got arrested. I mean, there were some close calls, but they got him crawling out of the trunk of a car."

 Asked if the Stooges hung out after the show, Asheton reponded;

"Oh no, not after that show. It was like, 'get back in the band's van and get the hell out of Romeo.' After that close call, we were just anxious as hell to get out of there.

I never carried any marijuana, but I'm sure my brother and Dave had some, and fortunately the police didn't search anyone.

Of course, everyone was so wired from the event we stayed up all night till he came home. We knew his parents drove up there and got him out, and I think he got home at six or seven in the morning."

   "The next day we were out of business," Engel said. "The lease had been cancelled, due to pressure on our landlord."

   The theatre reopened under new management, and it was re-named the Kaliedoscope. It held only teen dances with no live entertainmaent. That venture did not last long, and the building was demolished by the fall of 1971. The Detroit and Northern Bank now occupies the site, but the alley where Iggy hid is still there...